HTML in PHP to a File

I have a PHP file that outputs HTML to the Internet to a user.  The user also wants to be able to
print that output to a printer.  The user wants it formatted with page breaks in the proper place
and so on.  Using one PHP script to do both, short of a line to display and a line to print, is
there a way to do this easily or am I in a pond of alligators?  Most of the output is using an echo
statement.  I thought of trying to take a var and set it top echo or write according to what is
needed at that time.  Here is my minitest.

<?php
echo "<P>The test is starting";

$echowrite = "echo ";

$echowrite."<P>This is the first line.";

echo "<P>You should have seen the first line by now.";

?>

Did not work!  Hey I'll try anything to get this to work!  LOL

Seriously, how can this be done?

Thanks.

Mike