Cookie's folder

Hi
I'm try to use cookie's however it is not working. I remember there was a problem with cookie's on windows servers where if the folder wasn't there it would not create and cookie's woudn't work, and you had to create the folder your self. Does anyone know where this folder is called andwhere to place it? I have tryed to find info on it but can't find anything.
Cheers

PHP 4 v4.3.6 Apache 2 v2.0.52