exec() IIS 5 php

Hello,

I'm running php 4.3.4 on IIS 5 with ISAPI. I want to execute a script which
open Matlab (mathematical software) and then open a specific file into
matlab. Everything works the way I want on the serveur through the command
line php.exe.
However, with a php script through a web browser the following happens : the
progress bar hangs for ages and if I go to the task manager I see matlab
using the memory but no CPU time (only the 2-5 first seconds).

I would like to know if someone has already used the exec() function on IIS.
It works fine with exec and a batch, but not with exec and another script.

My script is like this
<?php
echo "Starting the program!!!";

$cmd = "\"C:\MATLAB6p5\bin\win32\matlab.exe\" /nosplash /nodesktop /r -c
E:\\SSN\\cognetics\\amp_fit_power_with_mex\\test2.m";
exec($cmd,$output,$rv);

echo "program started!!!";
?>