mysql_connect() undefined procedure

HI all.
Just get a new system to port a demo from windows 2000 to
windows xp, IIS. While at it, i figures i will download the
latest. BIG mistake. I installed mysql 4.1.7 and php 5 in
c\mysql and c\PHP. as well as eclipse and java. I set the
system path to include c\php and c:\php\ext.
php.ini is in c:\Windows and libmysql.dll and php_mysql.dll
are there too.
   I had some php scripts that worked fine with mysql
4.0.16 and php 3.4.3. One the new system, Eclipse find
mysql and my java code works. So i know the system knows
how to read php files.
  when i try to connect to mysql useing mysql_connect(), i
get 3 types of errors depending on how i set up the php.ini
file:
1- if i don't comment the php_mysql.dll, i get an error :
call to undefined procedure.
2- if i uncomment php_mysql.dll i get an error PHP startup:
unable to load dynamic library c:\php\ext\php_mysql.dll,
the specified procedure could not be found.
3- if i include libmysql.dll in the init file, i get the
same error as in 2.
BTW, libmysql.dll and php_mysql.dll are both in Windows,
system32 and in c:/php/ext/. The enviornment variable path
is set to look in c:\php\ext.

 I will keep digging and googling for an explaination but
if someone can save me some aggrivation i would appriciate
it. I have to get this demo working in 2 days.

Thanks in advance.