Re: FW: Church Database

Just to throw my two cents in, having done a small-ish project for a
local soccer league, PHP website with a MySQL backend, it was a very
manageable learning curve, particularly since I had web experience on
Windows with ASP, but nothing out of this world.

The experience was very valuable and I've gone on to appreciate open
source a lot more now!

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:15:43 -0400, Wagner, Aaron
<aaron.wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  > I'm a novice programmer and was looking into using MySQL and PHP to
>  > implement the system.
>  > Am I on the right track?
>  > Any thoughts or suggestions?
>  That's a good start.  If you also put it on an Apache Server
>  it will all be free as they are all Open Source = Free.
>
>  > Me being a beginner am I going to eat up to much time on my
>  learning curve?
>  That's hard to answer, PHP, Apache, and MySQL have GREAT
>  documentation websites for learning.  I program in PHP all
>  day so it's easy for me, but there is a slight learning curve.
>
>  > Would I be better off paying someone to do this?
>  Depends on the situation.  Would you be willing to take the
>  time to learn and donate your time?  Does the church need
>  this quickly?  On the flip side, If you write the code you
>  will be familiar and can update and fix it later for the church.
>
>  > Project wise is this a small, medium, or large undertaking.
>  I'd say Medium because of your learning curve.  The code
>  itself is pretty reusable and small.  Your basically adding
>  data to a DB and retrieving it, no heavy processing.
>
>  aaron wagner

gvalenz@xxxxxxxxx
Google Much?