Re: Installation Woes.

Jim,

Below are a few comments and questions for you:

On 22 Sep 2004 at 6:41, Jim Bailey wrote:

> I'm a well seasoned developer dipping my toe into PHP/Apache/MySQL.
> I installed Mozilla FireFox Version 0.9.3 and
> PHP4.3.8 and
> Apache 1.3.31 running in
> Windows 2000 Version 5 SP 4.

Fine, but FireFox has nothing to do with anything. Which browser you use has no impact
on the way your web server works, except for the identification string the browser sends to
the server each time a page is requested.

> I appended the following lines to httpd.conf
> ScriptAlias /php4/ "E:/Programs/PHP4.3.8/"
>
> AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .php4 .phtml .php
>
> Action application/x-httpd-php4 "php.exe"

Why did you decide to install PHP as a CGI binary? Did you read the installation file that
comes with the PHP package (install.txt)? Did you not see the line that reads "Note, we
consider installing PHP like this suicidal"?

I suggest you replace those lines you inserted in httpd.conf with these:

LoadModule php4_module E:/Programs/PHP4.3.8/sapi/php4apache.dll
AddModule mod_php4.c
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

Good luck,

Erik