php 4.3.8 virtual host problem

i had a virtual host problem where all my virtual host
calls went directly into apache's root directory -
c:\web.

i disabled my cgi version of php 4.3.8 (by commenting
out the call to php.ini) and i was able to get my
apache virtual hosts to find the correct root
directory subfolder.  for example, site1.com found
c:\web\site1.

i re-enable php and site1.com is pointing right back
to c:\web.

if you have any ideas what may be causing this
problem, please advise.

tia...