Re: Php5 merging with Java???

Hello,

On 09/01/2004 02:06 PM, Jim Macdiarmid wrote:
I've been reading the latest articles about the future of PHP and based on
the way I am understanding it, I'm getting the impression that PHP will not
be free or open source. I'm interested in getting other PHP developer
options and/or clarification of this direction. What is this going to do to
the PHP community? Will most PHP developers stick with it or take up some
other language such as C# for example? I am a relatively new PHP developer
and I really like it's ease of use and all the functionality the current
4.x.x version has, so I find the news of it's current path rather
depressing.

I have no idea from where do you take these conclusions.

Some people have interest that PHP engine be based on Parrot instead of Zend. That is the dynamic typed languages engine of Perl 6 .

http://www.edwardbear.org/pap.pdf

Even if that is feasible I am not sure if Zend people would not let it see the light of day for PHP as it means that everybody could use Parrot optimizers, caches and compilers instead of buying their equivalent commercial Zend engine based extension products. The same goes for Java based PHP or whatever you are claiming.

As for moving from PHP to Java or whatever, many PHP developers have already done that. Many will not do it ever because Java is much harder and complicated despite it provides a cleaner and powerful platform.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.phpclasses.org/