Php5 merging with Java???

I've been reading the latest articles about the future of PHP and based on
the way I am understanding it, I'm getting the impression that PHP will not
be free or open source. I'm interested in getting other PHP developer
options and/or clarification of this direction. What is this going to do to
the PHP community? Will most PHP developers stick with it or take up some
other language such as C# for example? I am a relatively new PHP developer
and I really like it's ease of use and all the functionality the current
4.x.x version has, so I find the news of it's current path rather
depressing.

Thank you all in advance for your input,

Jim