RE: Re: include_path and relative vs. absolute paths

Maybe not the most elegant, but I like to keep my stuff kind of modular
so what I've done is just create an "includes" folder in the root and
them reference it as include("../includes/includename.inc") from the
scripts that are all in their own folders (by project).

This may not be the best as far as security is concerned since it's easy
to guess at "/includes" existence and some include files might contain
information that could be useful to a would-be hacker, but I'm working
on an internal environment anyway so it's not so critical for me.

I have a handful of includes that are universal that I keep in there.
If something is project specific, I put it in that project's folder (or
an includes folder under the project folder).  I have all of my database
connect strings in one file, I also have a usage logging include as well
as a date conversation include with a bunch of functions that convert
from one date format to another since I use that a lot.

Ideally you'd set your include_path and put your scripts in one of those
folders presumably so that the sometimes-sensitive include files are
accessible to PHP but not necessarily to the webserver to send out to
someone trying to steal your stuff.  But if you can't change the
php.ini, maybe do something like I do.

Although, thinking about it, if you have access to a folder above where
your website lives, you could do something like this:

$dir = dirname($_SERVER["PATH_TRANSLATED"]) . "/../includes/";
include($dir ."includefile.inc");

That'd give you the "c:\foldername\" full path of the currently
executing script, then go up a level (parent folder) then back down to
an includes folder.  Add more ".." to go further.  As long as
permissions are proper for accessing that folder, that'd probably work.

Play around with it!   There are a number of path oriented commands and
global variables that may help you even if you don't have access to
PHP.ini

Just some thoughts and feedback.

-TG