Re: connection: close header

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:38:02 -0400, Gryffyn, Trevor
<tgryffyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just tossing out my 2cents..  Maybe there's a way or a reason, but HTTP
> connections are, by their nature, connectionless.  They send the data
> and close the connection.  I'm not sure why you'd want to keep a
> persistant connection to a specific page.
>
> There are "Keep Alive" codes you can send that maintain a connection to
> the web server so you don't have to go through all the handshaking and
> stuff again (ok, I'm not using exact terms here, forgive me.. My
> networking is a bit rusty) but that doesn't keep you connected to a
> single PHP or HTML or ASP page, just the server.
>
> Sounds like everything's behaving just as it was designed to and you're
> trying to do something really odd.  But maybe I'm just not getting what
> you're trying to do or something.

Actually, this is something that's supported by the HTTP protocol. You
use the same TCP connection (stream) for multiple requests to the
webserver. It is a bit strange, but it's supported.

Sounds like the OPs webserver isn't allowing the persistent
connections to go through. Maybe Apache needs to be configured
differently. Or PHP might be doing it. Or maybe the client application
should be rewritten to not use persistent HTTP connections. ;-)

--
DB_DataObject_FormBuilder - The database at your fingertips
http://pear.php.net/package/DB_DataObject_FormBuilder

paperCrane --Justin Patrin--