HTML (Web Site) Parser

Hello All,

I'm doing a little research. I need to pull some dynamic content off
some sites that don't offer XML data of RSS. So I can't go about it that
way.

I'm wondering, from a theoretical sense, it is possible to write a php
application that could log into site, supply the necessary post
information (i.e. search criteria, etc.), and then parse the results?
I'd be going to the same site and I could somewhat depend on format.
It's just that the site admin isn't interested at this point in
developing an XML app I could tap.

Practically speaking, I worry about things like sessions, SSL, supplying
that POST and GET data, etc. Has anyone ever done anything like this?
I've seen some static page and URL parsing on the list, but I'm talking
about something a bit larger (almost like a PHP based web browser
thingy...) I'm just looking at possible solutions now, any ideas? Any
resources would be great, I really don't mind reading other people's
experiences...

Thanks,

-Flint