Anyone have experience with PHP MySQL on Windows XP Pro?

Greetings,

I have installed PHP and MySQL on windows 98, 2k, and 2k server without any problems (well mostly any way). I usually use the default values with some security cleanup.

Now I'm trying to get a new workstation setup for development and I'm
running into problems. The installation routines run fine for both PHP and MySQL. The phpinfo() brings up the info page and I can connect to the database via the command line.

When I try to connect to the database in a PHP page I get:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\setup\test.php on line 4

Here are the contents of the test.php file:
<?
$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', 'password'); //this is line 4 btw
if (!$link) {
die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
}
echo 'Connected successfully';
mysql_close($link);
?>

I am running a:
P4 3.00 GHz
1.00 GB RAM
WindowsXP Service Pack 1

PHP:  4.3.5
MySQL:  4.0.20
I'm asuming IIS 5.0

MySQL Control Center can connect but phpMyAdmin can't.  It's very unnerving.
I can't find any error messages other than the time out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Don Lawrence
dlawrence@xxxxxxxxx