From: "Gryffyn, Trevor" <TGryffyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Alejandro César Garrammone" <agarrammone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 1:18 PM
Subject: RE:  I've found the cause of the error but I cant fix it.

If you're used to running on a system with register_globals turned ON then
you might run into a snag with something like this since the GET and POST
values aren't automatically assigned to the variables you're trying to echo.

You need to do:

$variablename = $_GET["variablename"];

Or...

$variablename = $_POST["variablename"];

Or..

$variablename = $_REQUEST["variablename"];

The last one (REQUEST) will populate the $variablename variable with either
GET or POST data so can be used for either.  I forget the order that it
takes it though, I believe it essentially does:

If (isset($_POST["variablename"])) $variablename = $_POST["variablename"];
If (isset($_GET["variablename"])) $variablename = $_GET["variablename"];

(or vice versa)

So if both $_POST["variablename"] and $_GET["variablename"] are both set,
then the data stored in the GET overwrites the POST data previously assigned
to $variablename.

It IS possible to pass both POST and GET data at the same time:

<form action="index.php?GETVARIABLE=testget" method="POST">
  <input type="text" name="POSTVARIABLE" value="testpost">
</form>

Var_dump($_REQUEST) will have both GETVARIABLE and POSTVARIABLE values
("testget" and "testpost" respectively) available where as $_GET only has
the GETVARIABLE value ("testget") and $_POST only has the POSTVARIABLE value
("testpost")

-TG