php5isapi.dll not handling MySQL

Im using PHP version Version 5.0.0b4 on XP-Pro (php5isapi.dll) running
IIS 5.1 and have gotten the SQLite to work nicely. However, the when
trying to use an up-and-running MySQL server, the script is always
cut-off at the start with the error "Call to undefined function
mysql_connect" even though I have the MySQL support enabled in the
php.ini file (uncommented the "extension=php_mysql.dll" line), and have
made sure to have the 2 related DLLs (php_mysql.dll and libmysql.dll)
installed in the correct directories. Also, the function call to
mysql_connect has the correct parameters (which is not relevant due to
the error message).

Unless the error message is erroneous, the result of my setup implies
that php5isapi.dll is not able to deal with MySQL queries. If anyone
knows if/how php5isapi.dll can handle MySQL queries, it would be greatly
appreciated if you could let me know how.

Sincerely,

Don