Re: Email Servers

Hello,

On 03/12/2004 04:25 AM, Will wrote:
I was wondering what everyone uses for there email servers?  I have been
having problems with bounced emails with an error.  A rely error.  It
only happens with certain email address.

My system is Windows XP, running Apache 1.2, PHP, MySQL.

This is a common misconception. SMTP servers are not meant to send messages but rather to receive them. The fact that many SMTP servers are capable of queueing and relaying messages under certain circunstances does not mean that your mailing problems will be solved.

If your messages are bouncing, there must be a reason. Often it can be an inappropriate use of message headers that make recipient servers confuse them with spam. If you are going to install an SMTP server in a private machine that was never meant to act as mail server, there are great chances of having your messages rejected, for instance for the lack of reverse DNS record.

Anyway, the mail() function, especially under Windows is very problematic. You may want to try this class that comes with a wrapper function named smtp_mail(). It emulates the mail() function except that it lets you enable direct delivery mode so you do not need an intermediate SMTP server.

In this case, if the messages that are rejected you will get the rejection error imediately so you stop wondering why and eventually fix any problems in your message.

You can also enable the debug mode so you can actually see the SMTP dialog as output of your script and understand better what is the problem.

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

You also need this for the actual SMTP delivery:

http://www.phpclasses.org/smtpclass

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos