From: Symeon Charalabides
To: php-windows@lists.php.net
Sent: 2004-02-01 21:56
Subject:  User authentication problem

Hi all,

I've always utilized basic user authentication by including the
following code in  my protected files:

if ($_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_USER']!='name' ||
$_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_PW']!='password')
{
	header("WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm=\"Website
administration\"");
	header("HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorised");
	exit;
}

Now, suddenly this code won't work on WinXP on any browser, under Apache
1.3 with PHP 4.3.3 running as a module. The worst part is that it won't run
on my ISP either, which runs PHP 4.3.4 on Linux machines. What really
baffles me is that the same code snippet on my earlier websites runs
perfectly. It's just the last  one I'm making it won't run on, although I
upload exactly the same file that runs  on the others.

It sounds like something very very obvious is wrong, which makes me feel
very very silly for not seeing it. Can it be affected by the structure of
the rest of  the website? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Symeon Charalabides (cosmopolite trainee)