Re: Limitations with webservers. WAS: Show the Progress of a file

Hello,

On 01/21/2004 12:01 PM, B.A.T. Svensson wrote:
You are confusing the types of progress. You can't track file upload progress in PHP because PHP scripts only run after the file upload is concluded. This is a limitation of PHP. Therefore that class alone is useless.

For me it seams to be a limitation with the webserver?

Because even in principle php can't do this unless the
web server permits/supports it - and I assume not many
web servers does that? Or?

No, this can be done with Apache for instance in Perl but not in PHP because PHP only starts executing the script after the upload has been handled.

The Perl solution takes note of the size of the file that is being transferred and another script can run in parallel to check the progress and output a page that shows how it is going.

http://www.raditha.com/megaupload/

PHP can only do this with a patch. Somebody submitted a patch in the php-internals mailing list but it seems nobody committed it.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP
http://www.phpclasses.org/