Question about general web site layout

Okay. This is not really a question specific to Windows. But here is goes.

I am looking for some 'Nest Practice' advice on how to layout my pages and config files. By layout
I am not talking about the presentation of the page for the browser but instead the layout of the
pages on disk.

Here is an example many sites have the home page in the root (http://www.somesite.com/index.php
(html). This is the entry point to the site. The average site have a left nav menu with links to
thinks like thier blob and maybe an 'About'. Most sites that use this type of layout will link the
'About' to a sub-folder under the home as in http://www.somesite.com/about/index.php (html).

Here is my point. On the 'About' I want to use the same header/footer and menu as on the main
page. This can be handled via an include in the main page like:

<?php
include("config_inc.php");
?>

Question is on the 'About' section which is one level below the main in the disk heirarchy, should
I start by just using the relative include path as in:

<?php
include("../config_inc.php");
?>

To me this provide a solution alright but not a clean solution. How does everyone else accomlish
this in thier multi-page sites.