Need help with printer_draw_bmp()

I've had success with using the printer functions on Windows.  But so far,
printer_draw_bmp returns TRUE but outputs nothing visible.

Does this function work?  I've been focusing on my .bmp file and the possibility
that it isn't the correct format.  I've used Windows Paint to create .bmp file
in several formats: monochrome, 16-bit, 256 color, and 24-bit color.  I've also
tried saving from Photoshop in 16-bit color (PS doesn't go lower).

I'm using PHP 4.3.3.  If anyone has gotten this work, just a confirmation
that I'm not spinning my wheels would be good.  Or a hint on creating the .bmp
file if that is incorrect.  The function is so trivial, I wouldn't think
I could use multiple fonts, draw circles and lines, yet get this function wrong.

Thanks,
Paul