Re: Changing URL

Nik wrote:

OK Guys,
It's me a again. My problem now is when I click the submit button, the URL
to my php script file is being displayed. That is I have a script doing some
validation, and when the user clicks the submit button if there is error in
the way the entered their information my url changes to match the location
of my php script file. I wish for it to go back to the original url.

IMHO a better way to solve your problem is to put the validation PHP code in the html form page with the page posting to itself. The logic could then be:

if form variables are present
verifiy
if error
display warning where you have an error in your form
else
redirect imediately to the next page (<META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="0;URL=http://your next page urll"> i think)
endif
else // first acces to the page or redirect after error content page
display form page
endif

The use of template engine permit some nice reuse of original html form page.

b.

PS: an easier way is to simply code a redirect in error page header:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="10;URL=http://your form page url">
witch display your error page 10s and redirect to the form page

************* Start of script ***

<?PHP

//this file is used to verify the user credentials

include "db.inc";

session_start();
$login_username = $_POST['user_name'];
$login_pass = $_POST['_password'];

$user_check = mysql_query("SELECT username FROM users WHERE
username='$login_username'");
if (mysql_num_rows($user_check) > 0)
 {
  $pass_check = mysql_query("SELECT username,password FROM users WHERE
username='$login_username' AND password=MD5('$login_pass')");
  if (mysql_num_rows($pass_check)>0)
   {
    //put code here to access complaints page and
    //start session

    session_register('login_name');
    $_SESSION['login_name'] = $login_username;
    header("Location: issues.php"); //This is when it is successful. I
manage to change the URL when the login is successful.
    //include "issues.php";

   }
  else
   {
    include "header.php";
    echo "There seems to be an error with your password. Kindly re-enter
your correct password. Thank you!";
//    header("Location: login.php");  I can't use this since I can't get to
write the error on the page
    include "login.html";     //and this is allowing it to keep the url of
the PHP file which is this file
   }
 }
else
 {
  include "header.php";
  echo "The specified user name does not exists. Kindly register. Thank
you!";
  include "signup.html";
  include "footer.php";
 }