mkdir with PHP 4.3.4 and IIS 5.0 on Windows 2000

I have a peculiar problem in one of my scripts.  I cannot mkdir from the
script, but from a test script, the same exact code works.

test.php contains:
<?

include('func/mkdirs.php'); // this function recursively checks and create a
directory tree.  I know it works fine.

$directory = '\\\\seint16\\TechComm\\Ceos\\Dang\\';

echo "Attempting to mkdir<br>\n";

mkdirs($directory,0755);

$dir_object = @dir ($directory) or die ("Could not open a directory stream
for <i>$directory</i>");

print_r($dir_object);

$dir_object->close();

?>

I have another script that takes some input from the user, namely to be a
new sub-folder to create on the destination directory.  Just to eliminate
the possibility that the code from my script is not the problem, I commented
out everything that had to do with what I really wanted.  In its place, I
substituted the above code from test.php.  When I call test.php, the
directory is created fine.  However, when I execute my problematic script,
which now contains the exact code, I get

Attempting to mkdir
Could not open a directory stream for \\seint16\TechComm\Ceos\Dang\

This is quite puzzling, since the exact same code should work in both
scripts, but it's not!  Any help, please!

Thanks,
Dang Nguyen