forms question

I'll start by saying that I know forms are 'bad'. However in this particular instance they suit the purpose very well for a utility that I need to write to enable a user to view one record and scroll through others while keeping the first in view. I've written lots of PHP, but none using frames. What I need to do is split the screen and display one record from a table in the top half and a number of records from the same table in the bottom half to scroll through. I have defined the initial html file that sets the frame parameters and source files for each frame which I have pointed to a seperate PHP file. Problem is nothing happens, almost as if its not calling the other PHP files. I am sure I am doing something really stupid, but since everybody advises against using frames I cant find a good example out there of how to do this. My initial HTML file look as follows:

<FRAMESET rows="100, 200">
      <FRAME name="ref" src="srcdisplay.php">
      <FRAME name="dups" src="dupsdisplay.php">
  </FRAMESET>

Can anyone help with this?

G.