Writing to a file

I'm am able to open the file read and write to it.  The problem is that I want to replace a line of text with another line.  My function is actually writing my new line after the line I wanted to change.  Can we do arithmetic on the $fd (file handle or file descriptor)?  To tell PHP to write where ( $fd - 1 ) points to?

--
Gerardo S. Rojas
mailto: grojas@strategicinc.com