From: Francesco [mailto:francesco.marsan@bmg.com]
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 8:09 AM
To: php-windows@lists.php.net
Subject: Re:  PHP randomly is not parsing a valid script

Unfortunately it cannot be a data problem, because PHP finds syntax errrors
every time in some other part of the code. And not just in one script, also
in many others. Also in a distributed application (an evaluation versione of
WebEdition CMS) I got those "false" syntax errors. Every time, it is
sufficient to reload the page (F5 in IE) and the script executes normally.
This happens not only from my client PC but also from other clients. I am
sure it has not been hacked (it's an Intranet). So it is looks really like a
problem of PHP-Apache itself.

"B.A.T. Svensson" <B.A.T.Svensson@lumc.nl> ha scritto nel messaggio
1064229621.18612.40.camel@anders">news:1064229621.18612.40.camel@anders...
> There might be a lot of reasons, but a some brains storm ideas might
> be:
>
> a) New type of data (well formed or not) is feed to the script,
>    and it cant handle this type of format.
>
> b) New functionality has been added and these function can't handle
>    either valid or invalid data formats
>
> c) Old functions has been changed and trigger an error when certain
>    kind of data is feed to them.
>
> d) time out problems
>
> e) solar activities
>
> f) hacking activities has compromised parts of the system
>
> g) data has, become inconsistent in the db by some reason
>
> I would suggest that you insert debug code in your scripts that
> validates data and in addition prints out a trace of function calls,
> to be able to get an answer on the following question:
>

>    Does the error always emerge when this particular part of
>    code is executed, or does it happen only in certain cases?
>

> If it happens in only certain cases try to isolate the set of data
> that causes the error to emerge, and then back track to the particular
> code segment that causes the script to fault.
>
> If it always happens review your (entire) code carefully once again,
> that is including the full call stack.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> //Anders
>
> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 13:05, Francesco wrote:
> > My platform: W2000 Server SP4 with latest MS vulnerability patches
applied.
> > Apache 1.3.22, PHP 4.2.2.
> >
> > Since a couple of weeks I have this very nasty problem:
> > Intermittently
PHP
> > is not parsing a valid script. It spits out an error regarding some
syntax
> > error in the code, but the code is in fact perfectly ok. In fact if
reload
> > the page the script executes normally.
> >
> > This happens (unfortunately) quite often now, albeit randomly. I
> > would
say