a Directory Crawler

I'm stuck.

I have been attempting to put together a script with little tidbits I've
found in the manual but I'm unable to figure out how to do this.

Basically I have a directory structure on my server that runs many levels
deep and wide.  In the directories there are several files with the
extension name ".schema"  I would like to have my script go through and
open each of these files (they are text files) and add the contents to a
variable which I will then store in a database.  I know how to display the
contents of a directory, as well as open and read text files...and write
to a database.  The problem I'm having is building the component that
traverses the directory structure pulling back all the files.  I can make
it read a single directory at a time but I'm at a loss to tell it how to
navigate through the directories.

This app is not for anything malicious, but I need a dynamic archive of
all the schemas and if I get brave I want to write an extraction tool to
extract the SQL queries from the schemas and catagorize them for future
use.

Thanks,
Ron