LDAP extension hanging Apache

OS: Win2k SP3
Apache: 1.3.24
PHP: 4.3.2

When I add 'extension=php_ldap.dll' to php.ini and restart the Apache
service, it hangs and doesn't restart. No errors appear in error.log and
nothing is printed to the console when using Apache's supplied service
restart. When I comment out the above extension line, it restarts normally.

I tried doing a bit of Googling for LDAP hanging PHP/Apache on Win32, but it
didn't turn up anything useful.

Has anybody experienced this, and can anybody offer any suggestions as to
what my next course of action should be? I'm attempting to come up with a
solution to authenticate users against a domain, and using LDAP seems to be
the best way to go, but I can't even get the extension loaded. :-/ (I've
tried using UserServer, but it doesn't seem to work 100% of the time.)