[PHP-WIN] Installing the manual (Win XP Pro, Apache2)

I understand that people who install using the installer have clickable html error links next to their error messages. However since I'm using Apache 2.0.47 I have to install manually. I have installed both the single page html and the multiple page html files (yes I decompressed and yes at different attempts). I have these options set this way:
error_reporting = E_ALL
display_errors = On
log_errors = On
html_errors = On

now with docref_root, I have tried every concievable way to point to the html help files I have tried, as examples:

docref_root = "http://localhost/phpmanual/"; trying to point to my web server and the subdirectory I have the manual in.

docref_root = "/phpmanual/" hedging my bets I put a copy in both C:\php\phpmanual and C:\(web server root)\phpmanual

I have managed to generate a number of errors in my php, but I do not get a clickable link.

Would someone kindy walk me through getting this set up. I am brand new to PHP and could really use all the help I can get, and that includes the clickable error messages.