[PHP-WIN] File upload error with 4.3.1 and NT

I'm experiencing a rather bewildering problem when uploading files.
Most of the time file uploads work as expected, but on certain files
they mysteriously disappear and do not appear the $_FILES.  The result
of print_r($_FILES) for these certain files looks like this:

Array ( [file] => Array ( [name] = cd33.iso [type] => [tmp_name] =>
[error] => 3 [size] => 0 ) )

I've checked all of the various size and time limits in php.ini and have
uploaded much larger files successfully.  Has anyone seen anything like
this before?  It is running PHP 4.3.1 on Apache 1.3.27 on an NT 4.0
system.

I tried to track down what error is 3.  From my very limited
understanding of the source code this seems to be coming from
main/rfc1867.c

Notably:

#define UPLOAD_ERROR_C    3  /* Partially uploaded */

This is later returned when an fwrite of a buffer returns the number of
bytes written as less than those in the buffer.

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the source of the error or have
any insight into what actually might be causing it?

Kris Jurka