Softonic Downloader needs an internet connection to function

I need to install Avery DesignPro under Ubuntu 11.04.  SoftonicDownloader_for_avery-designpro.exe starts running just fine.  It then terminates with the following error message:

Softonic Downloader needs an internet connection to function.  Please connect and try again.

My PC is running.  it is connected to cable Internet.  Firefox, Evolution, and software downloads are running fine.  Is the Softonic downloader looking for MS Internet Explorer to be running?

Is there a work around.  How much does Codeweavers charge to fix this?

John