Re: Steam Won't Start

Marco_Mod wrote:
> seems to be solved checking "emulate virtual desktop" in wine configuration...

Hmmm. Steam should work OK, without the need to run it in a virtual desktop, and is very well supported in Wine 1.3.22+ (I am one of the Steam client AppDB maintainers). There should be no need to run it in a Virtual Desktop - unless you are using a broken Desktop Manager like Metacity (which doesn't render the Window correctly).

I refer you to a recent thread (please ignore my biased comments on it  8) ):
steam stop as soon as it's started (http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=12571)
Installing the samba package (in Synaptic) should pull in you missing winbind dependency.

I would recommend using (once you have satisfied the native Linux package dependencies like winbind):

Code:
winetricks steam

This command line code will use the Winetricks package to install the Steam client automagically. The Steam client will install in it's own prefix (I think it's ~/.share/wineprefixes/steam - or something similar...) and install necessary fonts, etc. The Steam client will then run using your installed Wine version (ideally this should be quite recent 1.3.x).

Bob