Re: installation

Yeah, I'd uninstall the old WINE, delete the old .wine folder, and install the new WINE. Save anything you need to keep first, of course.
I'd also undo any funny user account stuff you did. You don't want to run WINE as root. If you add your user to the root group and run WINE as you, I'm worried that might be the same as running WINE as root.

Cheers,
Jake