Steam crashes upon launching (Mint Katya)

I had just installed Linux Mint katya on my Dell Dimension 5000 computer because Windows kept making it lag and so on.

I installed Wine and Steam soon after installing it, but whenever I tried to launch Steam it always crashes and quits as soon as the welcome and update screens pop up. I've googled for solutions to this problem and they have come to nil.