Re: Current best AMD processor for running mainstream games?

On 02/24/2011 09:28 PM, pin-no-err wrote:
Hi all,

I want to buy a processor that will be good for gaming in Wine in FreeBSD.<snip>  however it appears that multi-threaded applications are not distributed properly across multiple cores<snip>  should aim for single-core (Athlon, Sempron, Opteron?) or multi-core (Phenom 4-core, 6-core?)

I have a Phenom 4-core and have not had any trouble gaming, but I also use the computer for everything so non-game applications were a consideration when I bought the system. I have not tried SC2 so I can't say how bad that issue is on this chipset. I also have not researched the issue, is that something that could be fixed through a later wine update? If so I would go with the fastest individual core speed Phenom 4 or 6 core I could afford in the hopes of the games being playable now and better later. If the problem is on the game side and they show no interest in fixing it I might still do the same depending on what other games and applications I wanted the computer to be good for. For the single core chips we have been happy with both Athlon and Opterons, I think you can bet a little better numbers with the Opterons so they might be the better choice for just games.