Re: Installing on to Wine from disk

I tried all the things you suggested but without any joy. I list the terminal output below:

Archive:  /media/STARS/setup.exe
[/media/STARS/setup.exe]
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of /media/STARS/setup.exe or
          /media/STARS/setup.exe.zip, and cannot find /media/STARS/setup.exe.ZIP, period."

Then a warning message:

"The file '/media/STARS/setup.exe' is not marked as executable.  If this was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run.  For more details, read about the executable bit."

Then I tried the Terminal input:

"mike@mike-laptop:~$ cd ~/Desktop
mike@mike-laptop:~/Desktop$ wine Setup.exe
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\Setup.exe"
mike@mike-laptop:~/Desktop$

mike@mike-laptop:~/Desktop$ wine start setup.exe
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\setup.exe"
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: File not found

mike@mike-laptop:~$ wine start 'D:\setup.exe'
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100

mike@mike-laptop:~$ wine start /unix /media/cdrom/ setup.exe
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: Success"

I also checked the version of Wine that I am running - it is 1.1.42.
I then went to WineHQ website to download version 1.20 but, when I clicked on the Ubuntu vesion I'm using (10.04 LTS), I was warned that the Wine download for this was a Beta version and unreliable and that I might be better off staying with the version that came with my Ubuntu package.

There then followed a list of instructions in tecchie-ese that were confusing, so I did not download the 1.20 version.

I also tried updating my system with the Update Manager but this didn't pick up any Wine updates.

I am now in the same position as when I started and can not install Windows applications via Wine. If there's anyhing further you can do to help (in plain English if possible, please) I'd be very grateful.

Regards, Mike