Kontakt doesn't respond to Akai USB MIDI Keyboard

Ubuntu 10.4, Wine 1.1.42, Native Instruments Kontakt 4, Akai MPK88

I've installed Kontakt (sampled musical instruments).  Sound is working OK with the OSS driver, but the program doesn't respond to the USB keyboard. :-
( The keyboard shows up in `winecfg` under "Audio", OSS, MIDI In/Out devices.

I checked the MIDI options for the Kontakt program and it DOES show the Akai keyboard - so the program knows the keyboard exists.  I've got it set so that
device "Midi 1" is set to "Port A".  I've also tried setting to ports b,c,d, but no luck.

I don't have jack or ASIO running yet as I want to troubleshoot one thing at a time.

Is there something additional that needs to be done for USB MIDI keyboards to work under Wine?

TIA,
Cosmo