Re: Lag when playing freeware games

dandygandy2704 wrote:
I switched to Linux recently and one of the biggest things I miss from Windows are freeware games such as Spelunky or Desktop Dungeons. So, I got Wine and downloaded those games, thinking they should run great and I'll be happy in Linux-Land.

The problem is they lag an ungodly amount, making them unplayable. Spelunky is a lot worse than Desktop Dungeons, which I guess I could suffer through, but I think it would be better if they ran lag-free. The FAQ had nothing to say on this, so I figured I'd ask here. So, has anyone else encountered similar problems when running games like this? And if so, how did you fix it?

There are plenty of threads on improving Spelunky's performance under Wine. Also there are suggestions in the Wine Applications Database:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=9811

is the AppDb page for Spelunky.

The FAQ does not address these problems as they are particular to each program.

James McKenzie