EAX/OpenAL in Wine?

Hi.
Does Wine support EAX? I don't know very much about how EAX or OpenAL works, but as I understand it EAX is just hardware accelerated sound effects while OpenAL is the software. OpenAL can use EAX hardware if the support is there, am I right? I know some games (old?) use EAX but I do not know if they do it through OpenAL or directly, if that's possible.
It's a bit hard asking a question when you're not exactly sure how what you're asking about works, but what I want to know is what Wine supports regarding EAX and OpenAL and generally regarding sound in games compared to Windows?

Regards