AutoCAD 2000i runs only from a terminal

AutoCAD 2000i runs fine under Wine when I start it from the command line. However, if I try to start it from Applications>Wine>Programs>AutoCAD2000i I get a frozen AutoCAD screen. I get the same result if I right click on the acad.exe file and select"Open with Wine Windows Program Loader".

Any help as to where to start looking would be appreciated.

Wine 1.0.1
Ubuntu 8.10