Re: Red Alert / Red Alert II / Tiberium Sun: Overriding wsock32.dll to avoid IPX

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes<alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> All the games work, but IPX requires root privileges, as you say. For Command> 6 Conquer Gold/95 there is a modified version of the game's networking DLL> that uses TCP or UDP; this DLL works in Wine.  You could try to use that DLL> for the other C&C games and see if it works.  Please post your results here.I have that on my C&C 95. (No one wants to install it to test though...)
That DLL is only included in C&C and Red Alert. (And it seems that RedAlert 3.03, which integrates a newer WestWood Online client into RedAlert might not be using it anymore...(The IPX fix for Red Alert 3.03is a wsock32.dll, not a thipx32.dll))
Thipx32.dll do not contain Microsoft version information, so it isprobably a Westwood DLL...>> You can find the other AppDB entries on the 'Browse Apps' page and use its> search function.>> I belive Westwood Online uses TCP/IP for communication.>Westwood online with a PvPGN 1.8.4 server (Linux version) seems towork, at least sort of... (More a PvPGN limitation than a Wineissue...) Setting it up takes a while to figure out (If anyone want totry it, read the PvPGN forum, the documentation is non-existant...)
Gert