Re: Trackmania through steam

Hi, when it come to steam sound I've also been through allot.

After many experiments, I figured that the best thing to do was to, firstly do everything in this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578) topic, getting pulseaudio to work.

After that I constantly tried to use the padsp tehcnique. that is, select OSS and then do padsp steam to run it, but it constantly crashed my whole ubuntu system.

So I end up by thinking that I could route the sound first through ALSA and then through Pulseaudio, so I used aoss (I think I had to find some package). So, if you'd like to do this this way here's what to do.

First, go to:

]http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

and do everything except for equalizer (unless you wish it)

Then, go to the console (terminal and type):

Code:
aoss winecfg

select audio tab and choose aoss

Now, whenever you wish to launch steam (or any wine app) just do:

Code:
cd path_to_application
aoss wine application

I usually create bash script that also handle extra stuff that some apps need.

BE AWARE THAT PULSEAUDIO IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY WINE DEVS. I am only posting this to help you.

Why doesn't sound work you may ask?

Well, as you can only have sound from one app at a time, steam captures the sound, so that when starting a game it will not have sound, because it's already taken.

Note: If you try ALSA in winecfg and it works, it has happened to me but sound doesn't work in other apps. (untested in most recent versions)

Good Luck,

Jorl17