Trackmania through steam

I just installed steam+TMN and it seems to run quite well apart from sound.

I tried switching to OSS and got not sound while on ALSA I get the occasional "click" and thats about it.

Other software I have run through wine is WAR beta and WoW both of which play sound fine, so I suspect maybe Steam is holding up the sound device or something?

I am on Ubuntu Hardy.  I also used winetricks to install DX9, corefonts etc.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.