Re: rsyncing Wine fails

Roy Butler wrote:
<snip />

Testing "cp -r /home/david/.wine/ /var/tmp" would eliminate a lot of the variables. Curious - does wine still work for you w/o issue on this system?

I had a major PITA yesterday when trying to backup (by copying) by home directory to another server. I'm on Ubuntu 7.10.

The problem I discovered was that in the .wine directory were some symbolic links to other partitions on my machine and they had rather unusual names for linux like $d:: or some such and pointed to hard disk partitions my DVD-RW *and* my DVD-RAM drive.

Anyway, I ended up tar'ing the .wine directory first, then deleting the actual directory. Extracting the .wine tarball checked out fine afterwards.

<ducks from flames>It was the same for my .ies4linux directory too!</ducks from flames>

Perhaps it is something like this?

HTH

Al

--