rsyncing Wine fails

OK, I'm pretty certain this is actually an issue with my hard drive, but I just want to check to make absolutely certain that nothing Wine does could cause this problem.

I have just set about getting a regular backup of my PC (yes, I know, consider my wrists to be well and truly slapped for taking nearly two years to get around to this) and am trying to use rsync to copy files to a Western Digital Passport USB HDD. However, when I try the following command

rsync -a /home/david/ /media/Portable/backup/

it chokes when it gets to the .wine folder - I/O error on every single file and folder within .wine - trying a simple

cp -r /home/david/ /media/Portable/backup/

has the same effect. This is repeatable and only .wine is affected - which is why I wonder if it could be something about the way Wine is set up. Could *anything* wine does *possibly* cause this?

Many thanks, in advance,

David Shaw