using a USB HID device with WINE?

I have a flight sim (PhoenixRC) that comes with a special controller. The controller shows up as a Human Interface Device (HID) and it seems to work just fine with Ubuntu--I can do "sudo cat /dev/usb/hiddev0" and see the output change as I move the controls around. However when I start up PhoenixRC it complains that the controller isn't connected. Is there a way to use the controller with WINE, some kind of setting that I need to change or something?