Re: One application that I would like to see work.

On 08/02/2008, A. Tres Finocchiaro <tres.finocchiaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Opera only works for certain platforms and closed source, so its inherently> a disease to the idea behind Linux.
I will not get into a religious debate with you. As an end user, I usethe products that fit my workflow, regardless of philosophy. And I paywhat they cost. I use Linux because it is a tool that does what I needbetter than the alternatives. I use Opera because it is a tool thatdoes what i need better than the alternatives. Actually, I'm usingFirefox at the moment because with certain extensions, it fits my workbetter than Opera.
> In some cases, its worth paying for pre-compiled versions of proprietary> software for linux.  IBM does this for x86 for their lotus notes> application, and also for their iSeries Client access.
Agreed.
> I'm not saying I don't support the idea, but that company's site looks like> they're relatively small.  To ask a community to bombard them with emails is> rude and selfish.
I understand the point, based on the size of the company. However, Ithink that we should start telling these companies that we need Linuxsolutions, instead of crying that they ignore us. Of course theyignore Linux users. _We_ need to contact _them_.
> Photoshop is on a different scale, it is a standard, and part of today's> every-day vocabulary.  Using photoshop as an example of an application that> you "don't use", but "still request linux support for" is a weak argument.
I find the Gimp find for the little work that I do. However, I amaware that people exist who were raised on Photoshop and need thattool. I'm even enough of a jerk to help them by contacting Adobe andbacking them up. And you know what? I've already resolved myself totrying Photoshop again (last used version 5.5) when it's available onLinux. I'll buy the software if I see that it is an improvement overGimp.
> There is certainly a contradiction between "runs on Linux" and "closed> source" Linux and the Open Unixes are the only widespread PC operating> systems to change Kernels on a monthly basis, and they're the only thing out> that can be compiled to run on any platform.  As long as new platforms are> developed, more requests for precompiled close source applications will> surface, and you will again be sending this SPAM email to a bunch of people> that don't program their own joysticks.
Again, you are mixing philosophical interests that I am unwilling totake part in. Sorry. I do understand the need for a free, open OS aswell as I understand the need to cure cancer, feed Asia, save theendangered insect of the month, and fight global warming. I willsupport all those causes in the little ways that I can. But I will notargue about them. Nor is this the place for it.
Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.comhttp://gibberish.co.ilא-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת;