Re: Virtual window misbehavior

On 11/2/07, L. Rahyen <research@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday November 1 2007 20:59, Jim Hall wrote:
> I haven't found handles to re-size the window.

        Virtual desktop have fixed size. You don't need to resize it. If you *really*
want this you can use Window Menu -> Advanced -> Special Application/Window
Settings dialog to override default behavior of any window or application in
KDE.

> All native Linux
> apps treat the panels as "no go" zones. Is there some config setting that
> will make the desktop window do that?

        I have latest WINE, Debian Etch with KDE 3.5.5 and don't see problem you
describing.

        If you need more help, please give more details. What desktop environment you
are using: KDE or GNOME? Maybe something else? Don't forget to provide
version numbers.

        Thank you for using WINE.

(Sorry about the Cc, I sometimes click the wrong button.)

I'm running Gnome. Pkg "gnome-desktop-environment" is 1: 2.14.3.6. I've just checked and all my updates are the latest. Since KDE and Gnome desktops behave differently, I'm not surprised you don't see my problem.

I've been doing some experimenting since your reply. Your statement "Virtual desktop have fixed size." made my brain itch. Setting the virtual desktop size isn't done by drop down menu with preset choices. I remembered setting an incorrect number once. Winecfg took it without complaint. (I corrected it, of course.) So I started playing with the numbers for real. I wound up with: 1012x665 and the resultant window is exactly the size I need. It does open up 3-4 pixels too high, but THAT doesn't really matter. Diablo II LOD doesn't look or play any differently.

It's such a useful feature, I'm surprised I couldn't find any documentation about it, unless I didn't understand what I did find.

Jim