Virtual window misbehavior

I succeeded in installing 0.9.47 on two Debian Etch machines. In 'winecfg' in the 'Graphics' tab I checked the "Allow the Window Manager to control the Windows" box and the "Emulate a virtual desktop" box at 1024x768.When I start a program the virtual desktop goes full screen under the bottom and top panels. I haven't found handles to re-size the window. All native Linux apps treat the panels as "no go" zones. Is there some config setting that will make the desktop window do that?

Jim