Re: Newbie Problem: need Windows Printer Driver?

Daniel Skorka wrote:
rainer <gemauer@xxxxxx> wrote:
Most of the tutorials in the net are describing how to print at all or to
print with a special printer, but I couldn't find anything that describes
how to show the emulated application a "windows"-printerdriver.
I installed the driver for my printer (Brother HL-1430) via the driver-CD
and the setup there, but that did not work.

Trying to install a windows driver under wine is pointless. If you have
CUPS correctly set up, your printer should be available under wine. If
you compile wine yourself, you will need to have the CUPS development
package installed at compile time.

Daniel

The Wine-FAQ are pretty clear about installing hardware drivers in wine (http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wine-faq/index#USE-WINDOWS-DRIVER-WITH-WINE)

-- quote
So the work performed on Wine would not even be of any use for such a project. In other words, making it possible to use Windows drivers or VxDs on Unix would be a completely separate project.
-- Endquote

I have CUPS correctly setup and - as I wrote - can print out of wine applications (wordpad). But as it appears that's not good enough for prism. I'm afraid it wants to see some windows-printer-driver. I'm not sure if they have to work or if they just should be there somewhere :-)

any ideas?

thanks
rainer