Re: Planning first Linux/Wine install

anandpursahibwale@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Another wrinkle in my planning:  I have a favorite personal financial
management program (i.e, checkbook plus) that I've been using under
OS/2's Win3.1 capability for the past 13 years.  Because it does the
job I need, and it has 13 years of data, and did not export
satisfactorily to Quicken 98, I would like to continue using it.  It is
a straight Win 3.1 program and it would not install under Win98 or
Win2K.

Win 3.11 software may use path and environmental setting in the autoexec.bat. Wine as it is finds the autoexec.bat but does not execute it. user.reg or one of the other .reg files has a path and you can add the changes to made to autoexec.bat to that location or just run wine cmd and then c:\autoexec.bat and the command prompt.
Can Wine run Win 3.1 programs without a DOS/win3.1 partition, and how
would it install (especially given that it won't install under
Win98/Win2K)?

You should be able to, for win 3.11 applications that don't have copy protect keys hidden on the harddrive, just copy the *.ini files and program and data directory's from a working 3.11 install.

If it won't run under wine you can install win 3.11 under qemu and use mtoolsfm to move files from and to your simulated harddrive.
Thanks for indulging me my attachments to legacy software!

But just get a spare harddrive or empty partition and dual boot into linux and see how it works. The Linux install has a boot manager and can boot any partition/OS.
You do have a learning curve ahead.
anandpursahibwale@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm planning my first Linux/Wine install.  Is there any advantage to
having a Windows (say W2K) partition to install Win apps to, when the
plan is to run them under Wine/Linux?

I do have a licensed copy of W2K, so I could do that if it were an
advantage (e.g., is it easier to install difficult or unruly win apps
under windows first?).

Paul R.